HI and WELCOME–this is the first recipe blog on our new website. YEA! It has taken a while to get everything ready, and I have lots of recipes to publish to get this site up and running and out to YOU so you can enjoy all the great food Andrew and I have been making! But you have to start somewhere, so here it is….(drum roll)….
Last night we needed a quick and easy recipe, but still wanted the yumminess and comfort factor so we went with an oldie but goodie…Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls. I don’t know how many of you grew up with, or have tried the traditional cabbage rolls–with beef, rice, tomato sauce all rolled in a cabbage “shell,” but they are delicious! Unfortunately, it is not something most of us have time to make on a week night after work, so here is an extremely EASY and QUICK (two words I LOVE) version. There is an added surprise of cinnamon and nutmeg that gives it a little zing, and there is no rice in this recipe. However, we did make rice as a side, so you can layer this dish over rice. Also to add some extra veggies to the already included cabbage and tomatoes, we added a side of spinach. And, although I did not do this last night, you can top with grated cheese of your choice to make it extra yummy!
- 1-1/2 lb ground beef (we used ground beef brisket)
- ½ large onion
- ½ head cabbage
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can tomato sauce
- ½-1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ tablespoon wine vinegar or cider vinegar
- Pinch of cinnamon to taste
- Pinch of nutmeg to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- In large skillet (use dutch oven if doubling recipe) heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add ground beef and onion and cook, stirring until beef is no longer pink and onion is tender.
- Add garlic and cook until soft.
- Add chopped cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, vinegar, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and alt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes--or until cabbage is tender.
- Serving Suggestion: Serve over steamed rice.